Saturday, June 13, 2015

Int'l Surfing Day Honors the Sport



Surfer's Code - Say "I will"


Written by SurfWriter Girls Sunny Magdaug and Patti Kishel

International Surfing Day (ISD) – a day created by the Surfrider Foundation and Surfing magazine to honor the sport of surfing – is June 20th.  To join in the action just head to the Huntington Beach Pier for a day of surfing events and activities from 8 am – 1 pm.
   




Local Surfrider members from the Huntington/Seal Beach Chapter and Newport and Long Beach chapters will be on hand to host the festivities and provide information about beach environmental programs.



With ISD almost here, SurfWriter Girls Sunny Magdaug and Patti Kishel are eager to share Champion surfer and environmentalist Shaun Tomson's Surfer’s Code with you. 
     

Much like the Code of the West in the classic cowboy movies, surfers have a code, too. Or at least they should, according to Tomson.


Drawing on what he’s learned from surfing, Tomson wrote the book, The Surfer's Code – 12 Simple Lessons for Riding Through Life, to impart “life lessons” that are just as valid on land as in the water.



Shaun Tomson’s Surfer’s Code
 
                                    - I will never turn back on the ocean


- I will always paddle back out


- I will take the drop with commitment


- I will know that there will always be another wave


- I will realize that all surfers are joined by one ocean


- I will paddle around the impact zone


- I will never fight a rip tide


- I will watch out for other surfers after a big set


- I will pass on my stoke to a non-surfer


- I will ride, and not paddle in to shore

 
- I will catch a wave every day, even in my mind


- I will honor the sport of kings


Tomson, a South African known for riding the big waves joyously and fearlessly, shows the importance of making your move, watching out for others, being persistent, respecting the sport and sharing the stoke.


There is much to celebrate about surfing and much to learn from it.


International Surfing Day is the perfect time to say “I will” to honoring the sport and living up to the Surfer’s Code.


And to make a commitment to achieve the non-profit Surfrider Foundation’s goal of protecting the world’s oceans, waves and beaches.


To be continued – Look for coverage of this year’s International Surfing Day event in Huntington Beach in the next SurfWriter Girls blog.



Please post your comment below. Comments will appear the next day.

  
Sunny Magdaug and Patti Kishel hold the exclusive rights to this copyrighted material. Publications wishing to reprint it may contact them at surfwriter.girls@gmail.com Individuals and non-profit groups are welcome to post it on social media sites as long as credit is given. 


No comments:

Post a Comment